Monday, March 05, 2012

The Perfect Blue

I'm taking a quick break from what I'm supposed to be doing to eat a cup of lemon Greek yogurt.  I feel icky.  Maybe my blood sugar dropped.  I don't know.  It's happened twice today.  Maybe I just stayed up too late last night.  I was exceptionally reluctant to get up this morning, for sure, but that might not have had anything to do with anything other than the fact that it was a Monday.

I'm looking out the window and into a sky that makes my heart sigh.  It is that color that makes everything inside you feel as though it is being pulled irresistibly upward into the gorgeous curve of the heavens.  For a moment, all those childhood fantasies of flight we indulged in with blankets tied off around our necks don't seem so foolish after all.  It seems as if I could simply step outside, rise up on my toes, and wings would emerge at last, hidden all my life, but free now to take me back into the element in which I must naturally belong.

It is also the blue of his eyes.  Maybe this is because he has the wide open spaces I need inside him to stretch my wings.  Maybe it's because I can trust him not ever to try to make me stop flying.  I get that same feeling under the heart, that same lift-off when I look into them.  If he'll keep keep carrying the sky for me, even when there is rain, I can always soar, safe in that perfect blue.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....