Monday, August 14, 2006

Exhaustion

I am only writing this as a way to unwind before I crawl to my bed and pull the covers over my head. I am so tired that I physically ache. Actually, I'm not sure the ache is from tiredness. I suspect it has more to do with standing on concrete floors all day.

After a long day at school, I went to have two cavities filled. I swear, at one point, he was actually using a Dremmel on me. I jumped when he first started drilling, so stopped and hit me with two more shots in each cheek. After that, I didn't feel anything except the friction.

When that joy was over, I had to go to the local college branch to get registered for classes. That was when Marlowe's quote from his Mephistopheles came to mind, "This is hell, nor am I out of it." I wound up sitting in a hall for three hours waiting to see a counselor for 10 minutes. I HATE things like that.

While I was there, this twit on a cellphone stepped perilously close to the edge of destruction. She talked the WHOLE time I was there. Non-stop. I now know about her husband and his new four-wheeler, their dog, the diesel pickup she wants to buy from Texas for him, and all other facts about her life. She was having painfully personal conversations in a room full of people who had to try to pretend we were deaf. Why do people do that?


When there were only four or five of us left doggedly waiting on our turns, she stopped talking and started playing a game. Now I was also playing a game on my phone and had been for an hour, but I respectfully CUT MY SOUNDS OFF, including the ringer. She just let hers beep on, so every dadgummed time she moved her thumbs, it beeped and hooted. Visions of dead cellphones danced gleefully in my head. I wanted to jump up and down on it, to do a rumba across the tattered remains on the floor. I wanted to say something witty and apropos, but all I could come up with in my Novacaine deadened state was, " Hey, *&%$*, cut down the volume on that *&##(* phone." How urbane. How cutting. How eloquent.

After it was all over, I finally made it out to my aunt and uncle's house for my uncle's birthday party. It revived me to sit with my family and relax. I am still hurting, jaw and legs, but I feel a little less like somebody beat me up and left me for dead. Hopefully, a night of rest will complete the restoration. Tomorrow has GOT to be better....

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....