Saturday, August 12, 2006

Overwhelming Piles of Crap

My house is a wreck. There are cast-off tote bags and work bags strewn from the door to the livingroom. Clean laundry overflows the baskets in the laundry area. The dishwasher is full of dishes that need to be put away. My floors need sweeping, vacuuming, and mopping. My birdfeeders need seed and sugar water, and my grass is getting out of hand.

This is my least favorite part of the school year and the teaching life. Things pile up so quickly, and I have such a hard time taking care of more than running a load of laundry or the dishwasher during the week. I'm at school so much more than I'm at home, so home becomes a place where I dump, dine, and fall down.

I wish I knew how to reach a better balance with this. I know not all teachers live this way, so there has to be a way to do it. Of course, I also know a lot of teachers who have someone in to clean once or twice a week. That must be nice. Those people are married to men with good jobs, though, because I can't even pay all my bills with what I make, much less afford the luxury of somebody to help me with all this crap.

I guess the best I can do right now is turn Saturday into the day of decrapificaiton. Maybe if I can restore order once a week, it won't get so bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....