Thursday, August 03, 2006

Jumping on the Bandwagon

I have a new phone, and I may regret it, but right now, I'm loving the process of customizing it, or in geekspeak, tweaking it. I changed my wireless service from Company A to Company B because I can drive to my parents' house, less than a mile away, and have service with Company B. Company A's service doesn't extend much past my driveway. It was endlessly frustrating.

Company A doesn't cover most of the state, in fact. When I was driving two hours on two-lane roads during a period where I was teaching for a local community college, I often just sort of crossed my fingers that no deer or drunken loggers would cross my path because there'd be no phone service to call for help. I feel safer now.

I jumped on the bandwagon and got a Motorola Razr. I know everybody and his brother has one, but I have craved one since I first saw the original commercial where it sliced through the words. Mine is hot pink. I'm not usually a fan of hot pink, but it seemed to fit. Last night, after hours of trying to connect and finally replacing the data cable that connects the phone to my computer, I uploaded the original theme song from Wonder Woman to be my ringtone. I've been waiting on somebody to call me just so I can have the pleasant surprise of hearing that explosion and then the dramatic choir of "Wonder Womaaann....dum de dum dum....". It's the little things that get you through the day, you know.

Since I was up so late working on getting that crucial task accomplished, I am wiped out right now. There are a couple of reasons why. First, our test scores for the whole school have come back, and they were less than we'd hoped. Much less. I don't want to say much more about that except for the fact that for three straight days, I've been trying to figure out what I could have done differently or more. It's painful and wearying. Also, I've been going full tilt all day trying to ready my self, my room, and all the various and sundry paraphernalia of education for tomorrow's onslaught of students. You can tell I have a positive outlook, no?

Actually, I think I'll be fine. Tonight, I plan to cook a big steak I foolishly splurged on, sit on my couch, and (hopefully) overdose myself on the splendid (one day, I might actually run out of adjectives with which to preface his name) Vincent D'Onofrio. Tomorrow, I'll get up, come in, and do my best. God willing, that will be enough.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck at school tomorow (today?) It just seems too hot for anyone's brain to work but maybe I am just projecting my own weaknesses onto others.

    My daughter doesn't have a razr phone and she reminds me of that regularly. She has not the best track record keeping a phone intact so I've chalked having one up to something to which SHE can aspire (with her own money and job, hopefully not too far into the future). She turns 21 tomorrow. I hope she will be as thoughtful and responsible and as well spoken as you someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the well-wishes and the kind words. I hope your daughter and your family have a wonderful time on her 21st.

    As for it being too hot, our end of the building is always ridiculously cold. I cannot understand it, but the thermostat in my classroom has no actual function. I needed a jacket in my class today, and my kids, who weren't running on adrenaline and up and moving, were freezing. :( Oh well, we survived.

    ReplyDelete

And then you said.....