Saturday, August 26, 2006

How to Eat Literature Like a Pit Bull

I had ordered a copy of How to Read Literature Like a Professor from amazon.com the other day. I came home yesterday evening to find it and the cd that was also a part of the order in pieces strewn across my yard. The cover had been ripped off neatly, and the corners had been chewed away. The case of the cd was chewed right down to the edge of the disc, but miraculously, no dog teeth had penetrated it.

Needless to say, I wasn't happy. I had been looking forward to reading the book since this summer's AP conference. Several people there really recommended it as a resource for students, and I finally had enough money in my budget to get it.

Missy, who usually mugs me as soon as I get home, was very tentative. I just unloaded my school stuff and told her to stay away from me. I was so mad.

When I came in, I looked out the screen door and saw her standing, wilted and droopy, on the porch. I came back to my senses. Who gives a crap about a book? She loves me faithfully every single day. Every day, no matter how bad my day has been, she comes to the car and tries to get all sixty pounds of herself into my lap for a hug. That kind of unconditional love is worth all the books and cds in the world.

I went out, sat in the chair on my porch, and gathered her into my lap. She wrapped her paws around me in that way she has and just about shook herself apart with happy wiggles. It's amazing how trivial are the things we get mad at the ones we love, be it dog or human, for sometimes, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....