Sunday, September 23, 2012

AFAR magazine

About three months ago, I opened my mailbox to find a copy of a magazine I really don't remember asking anybody for, AFAR.  Just the cover grabbed my attention.  The photography on the front was spectacular.  There were the standard little article blurbs there that caught my eye, too.  An article about traveling cross-country in an Airstream.  Travel tips for South Africa.  I had it open in the car and sat reading it in my driveway before I ever even took it inside the house.

As I read, I found that they have an app and a website.  I played with those, and they're great.  I can see some classroom applications for them and tons of personal ones.  I uploaded some trip pictures from various places I've been to their photo feed.

Since then two more issues have come.  I don't have many magazine subscriptions.  I only subscribe to Mental Floss and Real Simple.  This one, though, I want to keep coming.  It has high end and more realistic tips and travel helps.  I have never seen anything like it.  It is for people who love to go, even if they can only do it from the comfort of their favorite reading spot.  It has inspired me and brought out all that old urge that's never very far from the surface to throw all my crap in a box and run away.

While I can't do that for long periods of time yet, this lovely publication is at least keeping that flame burning.  It makes me remember how good I feel when I am somewhere else, soaking in all the mind-boggling, soul-healing beauty that is our world.  It makes me dust off the camera and look for somewhere good to go point it.

For a slim volume of pulp and printer's ink, I'd say this is no minor accomplishment.  Kudos to the team that puts this thing together.  Thanks to whomever saw to it that I'm getting it now.  It was something I did not know existed but that I needed terribly all the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....