Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Captain America

(in which I watched a movie)

I seem to remember a TV show for Captain America when I was little.  It was of that Wonder Woman variety, super cheesy I'm sure, but I have always remembered the shield.  I don't remember anything else but that.  Therefore, unlike most superhero films of recent years, I really didn't know what to expect.

I was charmed.

I shouldn't be surprised by that.  Right now, whoever is controlling those Marvel films is turning out some very engaging stuff.  I really and truly love the Iron Man films.  Part of that, granted, is because of Robert Downey Jr., an actor whom I find charming, intelligent, and humorous, but the writing is fun, the plot is fast-paced, and the characters have a depth that I respect.

There was something more with Captain America, though.  Maybe it's that they focused so much on him as a developing individual rather than just, "Oh, hey.  Lookit.  I can has powers now."  The powers were important, but the film was much more about just how far he would go, just how much he was willing to give up to do the thing he believed was right.

I can hear you muttering "Boy Scout" behind your hands, and you're right.  He was one.  But, as I tell my seniors every year, our epic heroes/comic book superheroes tell us a lot about what we value, what we as a culture think is most important.  He had strength without arrogance, a willingness (even a drive) to help his fellow man, badassedness and total fearlessness on the field of battle, a background rich in technology and gadgets, a history of overcoming and rising from humble origins, and (and here I feel a blush stain my maidenly cheeks) physical beauty.  I think that's pretty much the catalog of virtues from America.  The only bell he didn't ring was super intelligent, but I think Iron Man does that about eight times anyway, so Captain America doesn't have to worry about it so much.

As far as the superhero movies go, I will have to watch it again.  That is high praise for any film, really, since I don't even half-watch most of them the first time.  It was nice to have the mythos of that character re-examined and to refresh hazy memories.  Maybe someday they will reboot Wonder Woman in the same way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....