Sunday, September 23, 2012

Italian Dreaming

It's just possible that I might be going back to Italy.  Three years after the first trip, I have the chance to go again....if everything works out just right.  I will know later this week, but just the thought of being able to go back thrills me.

This trip will include Rome, Florence, and Venice.  I loved Rome last time.  Florence, a day trip, was spectacular.  I desperately wanted more time there.  Venice has been a dream of mine for a long time.  It seems too beautiful and delicate to be a real place.  I want to see it with my own eyes, maybe fall into a canal or something, and know that it's possible.

Even though there is still a detail waiting to be finalized for me to be sure of the trip, it hasn't stopped me from looking online, from downloading the free editions of the Lonely Planet guides for Florence and Venice.  There are so many things I want to see again.  There are so many things I want to see for the very first time.

I have a "real" camera now.  Every time I think of how glorious everything I saw was last time, I get even more excited by thinking about going back and getting to capture it well this time.  My little point-and-shoot that I carried before was in no way capable of getting the kind of detail shots I like.  It recorded the big stuff, but it's the little things that are so fantastic in Rome and Florence.  I am going to need a BIG memory card if I do get to go.

The most exciting thing to me, though, about this trip is that my best friend is probably going to get to come along.  I know that Italy, particularly Florence and Venice, has been a dream of hers for a long time.  I remember her talking about it back in college.  To be able to go and see her get to experience what for her will be both her first time out of the country and one of her life-list goals at the same time will be awesome.

It will also be fantastic on my end because I'll finally have somebody along who thinks like me.  Sometimes, when you're stuck with a group, it's hard to be alone inside it.  This happens to me frequently and I just roll with it.  To be in an incredible place with somebody I've known quite literally since my first day of kindergarten is going to be just that much greater an experience.

I'm really hoping this comes together.  It's one of those things that I'm fairly sure about, but that I can't quite believe is actually going to happen.  Maybe all the stars will align one more time, and I'll get this great good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....