Sunday, September 20, 2009

Star Wars


Can I make the ultimate geek confession? I think the end of Return of the Jedi, the battle between Darth Vader and Luke and the subsequent destruction of the Emperor as Vader turns away from the Dark Side are some of the finest moments in film. Okay, so maybe it's not Casablanca or Cary Grant carrying that glowing glass of liquid up the stairs in Suspicion, but there is something so powerful about this scene.

The mythology layered in is a huge part of it. The myth of the young hero coming to confront his fallen father, coming to complete the quest that has taken him from boyhood to adult awareness, that has allowed him to test himself and pass, is wonderful no matter in which version it appears. That this story is actually the story of two men striving for definition has always fascinated me.

As much as I always liked Luke growing up, Vader was always my favorite. If you've read here much, you know I always love the monsters, anyway, and Vader was probably the first one of these to catch my attention. I love that at the very end, he gets a chance to redeem himself, to step away from all his bad decisions and be, at least for a brief moment, the man he was meant to be.

While I'm not one of those who run around espousing the "Jedi religion" or anything too crazy like that (at least not about Star Wars, anyway), I have always thought this is part of the message of Star Wars, that the possibility for redemption and change always exists, and that it can cause profound change when it happens, not just for the individual but for everyone connected to him or her as well. It's a powerful message, and one I personally believe to be true. I guess it's one of the reasons I always watch the films and why I have so many little Darth Vader doodads. Well, that and the fact that they're just so darn cool...

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....