Saturday, September 03, 2011

Prairie Arts 2011

My best friend and I went to West Point today for our annual trip to Prairie Arts.  I needed this get away so badly.  Last week was in many ways a thing woven from the fibers of hell, and all that helped me hold it together was the knowledge that I had this trip to look forward to at the end of it.  It was overcast and threatened rain off and on throughout the day, but this led to cooler temperatures than we've had in the past few years, making it a very comfortable day.

We saw all sorts of gorgeous stuff made by artists from many places.  Other than Chimneyville, it's the only time I get to see real craftsmanship.  Some of the same artists come to both, in fact.  I got another piece of metal yard art from the same people who made my rooster and flying pig, this time a nodding mule.  He's sort of awesome, if I do say so myself.

The stuff we bought wasn't the best part of the day, though.  The best part of the day was just talking and spending time with each other.  Both of us were tired, so at one point we simply sat down on the sidewalk across from some of the vendors and drank a bottle of water each and talked.  We went from West Point to Starkville and Little Dooey's and spent much longer than the chicken-on-a-sticks we ordered warranted because it was so good to sit and converse.  We've known each other so long; it doesn't really matter how long we go between conversations.  We always just pick back up seamlessly.

It was just what I needed.  When your world has gotten stupid, it always helps to have the company and conversation of a good friend.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:41 PM CDT

    I had so much fun too! I always love it when we can have a girls' day. Makes me feel like a teenager again. :) I will be saving up for that bobbing flamingo and the large "Fancy Paints" painting next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must get that flamingo. It was awesome. If I hadn't needed the nodding mule, *I* would have gotten one of the flamingos. Maybe next year, we can get a pair. We might have to lash them to the roof to get them home, but that might be fun, too....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:30 PM CDT

    We'll get one of Daddy's small trailers! Or we'll have to take the van. You can drive it 'cause I don't wanna drive all the way up there! Love you, girl!

    ReplyDelete

And then you said.....