Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Things That May or May Not Be Good


  • My AP students (at least some of them) are starting to learn the difference between my real smile and my "Noh Mask" smile (see a previous post about this).  So much so that today, rather suddenly, one of them grinned and said, "Yeah.  That one's the 'Noh Mask' one, right?"  He was dead on.  Cheezus.  Sometimes I feel like I might be the star creature in one of those documentaries....  "Watch the teacher move carefully now...any quick gesture could startle her...."
  • In the same vein, one of my regular students said, "Aw, you know Ms. __________.  She will wreck on you and be smiling."  (Little Noh Smile)
  • Working on thesis statements.  Changes are starting to happen.  Lightbulbs are going on.  The first step on that hard long road is being taken.  I think everybody feels better.  I know I do.
  • All my pants are about to fall off because I've lost 15 lbs. since school started. This is not a bad thing, but it's about to destroy my clothing budget since I am going to have to buy new stuff.  I feel like the saggy baggy elephant in everything except my jeans which, for some totally inexplicable reason, still fit me.  Chalk it up to the magic of denim, once again proving it is the only pant fabric I really need to wear.
  • Four words:  Vomit in the hall.  Do I need to elaborate?  Yah. 
  • In the past two days, I have been dragged into the following conversations I'm not qualified to have:  why nuns become nuns, what happened to men in the medieval period who denied their wives the rights to their bodies/the right to have children (my answer "I'm guessing this never, EVER came up, darlin'."), how the Roman baths at Bath probably were not used soley for the purpose of immoral acts.  This is the short list.  GOD, I love my job.  You just never know from day to day what you're going to be talking about, and it sort of keeps you on your toes mentally....
  • Four more words to balance out the other:  Blue glitter butterfly mask.  Which I plan to wear.  Tomorrow.  While I have to drive in the Homecoming Parade.  Booyah.  
That's enough.  Time for bed.  Tomorrow will be, quite probably literally, hell on wheels.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....