Thursday, August 04, 2005

Deer in the Headlights

Every beginning is weak. -- Celtic Proverb

Today was the first day of a new school year. It was strange to have been there at the beginning and be prepared. The last few years of my teaching life have been start-late-fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants experiences. Today, my room was set up and all the elements were in place. It was nice.

My tenth graders had the distinctive, vacant-eyed, deer in the headlights expression today. They said almost nothing, and hardly even moved. I suppose the shock of a new environment had incapacitated them. Don't worry. It won't last. The new will wear off quickly and then we'll see what they're really made of.

The AP classes were another matter altogether. One class is boisterous and the other is more subdued. I think they're both going to be great fun. They, too, were shell-shocked, but not by environment. Course expectations were what struck them between the eyes. I wonder if any of them will bail on the class.

Well, tonight, too will be short. I'm very tired and tomorrow will be another long day. Sigh. Maybe over the weekend I can get the grass mowed and make my house look something like a house again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....