Saturday, August 27, 2005

Not Really What I Had In Mind

Procrastination gives you something to look forward to.
Joan Konner


I got up this morning with every intention of grading. I had it all planned out. Then, around 11:30, Mom called saying she and Dad were on their way back from the landfill with an empty trailer. They were planning to stop off here and pick up more stuff to take in another load.

That's how it started. We loaded the two ancient, broken-down recliners from the guest bedroom, then the microwave that practically glowed every time it ran. Once we'd loaded the worst of the junk, we started to shuffle things from the house to the storage van out in the yard. The small bed I replaced earlier this year was moved out of the guest room from where it had been standing against the wall for months. Several pieces of bed linen were folded and put away. Curtains were discussed.
By the time I realized it, most of the day had crept away.

Intending to do work, I took a minute to eat some lunch. While I ate, I picked up a book, Something Rotten by Jasper Fforde, and read. That turned into a several-hour long reading spree in which I finished off the book and lost the rest of my day. Oh well....

Tomorrow, after church, I will HAVE to grade. I hope nothing else shiny comes along to catch my attention.

1 comment:

  1. I am hoping you will not be rudely affected by Katrina, but the radar maps look ominous even pretty far inland. I still remember the *after* of Camille and the damages our coastal relatives suffered. Please let your readers know how you are *after*.

    ReplyDelete

And then you said.....