Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Geekdom

Whatever the reason, being a nerd, a geek, a dork - whatever you want to call the tragically unhip - is becoming a source of pride. BellSouth News

Look, I'm ahead of the curve again. I saw this article today in my lunchtime news browsing, and I had to laugh. How quaint that the feeling I've had all my life of not quite fitting, of seeing things through a different lens, is now the fashion of the day.

I don't know how many of you out there have ever been a geek, but I have never really wanted to be any other thing, at least not seriously. To me, it was never a matter of labeling myself as this or that. I just tried to pursue the things that I liked, and devil take the hindmost. Isn't that supposed to be what life's all about?

And who decides what is cool or worthy of attention anyway? Hasn't it ever struck anyone as odd that the "cool" things are almost always addictive or self-destructive? Why is that?

Back to the concept of Geekdom, I have to admit that I'm looking for a geek to date/marry. I could never get serious about someone who allowed the outside world to dictate what he liked. I want a man who knows why Tom Baker was the best Dr. Who EVER. I would love a guy who collects PEZ, likes to spend a long time in bookstores because HE READS, and doesn't mind having bizarre and abstract debates late at night. He may have had a D&D character, even. Unfortunately, my consort, the Geek King, doesn't seem to be anywhere in sight. :(

I was glad to see in the article that perhaps for a short time anyway, teenagers are feeling free to be themselves. I don't know how long it will last, but Viva la Geek!

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....