Tuesday, May 15, 2012

A Million Little Things

Today was one of those days where I run around and around in tiny little circles until I fall down.  I often feel like a flock of very aggressive birds is following me around squawking and pecking at me on days like this.  There is the urge to throw my hands up and shout, "Go away!"  It can get sort of Hitchcockian at times when I'm trying to schedule an induction, chase down candidates and officers, process exams, deal with student/departmental crises, eat lunch, AND make parent calls.  Oh, and all that?  That's the short list.

It's just that way sometimes, and it's usually that way at the end of the school year.  It never ceases to amaze me how many things wait until the end to begin.  (Paradox?  You'd think so, but sadly and oddly, no...)  I took care of those, and then there were the genuine crises, the moments of human drama, the regular daily tasks, the grading (Good God, there is ALWAYS the grading), and at some point, I grabbed a salad.  It was good.  There were mandarin oranges involved.

It wasn't a bad day.  It was just hectic.  Hopefully, because it WAS hectic, tomorrow won't be quite as circusy.  Of course, there will still be the grading (because, well, I think there has to be to keep gravity going and the Earth going around the sun, etc.), and I am sure that because I work at a high school at least a small slice of drama will find its way under my door at some point.  Again, this seems to be one of the foundational laws of the universe.  If you are currently drama-free wherever you are, that's because we have it all.  I can box some up and ship it if you feel the lack.....

I did have a totally unexpected and very pleasant experience at the end of the day:  I left before 4:30.  I finished up everything that needed doing urgently, cleaned up in my room long enough for buses and mad drivers to clear campus, took the laptop cart down to storage for the last time this year, hung an award a group I sponsor had won the other night, stood looking around my room in the afternoon sunlight for a moment, and felt that peace that comes from having done all the damage you can do to something for one good day.  I shut down all the electronics, switched off my little owl Scentsy warmer that C. gave me, grabbed up my bags, and slid out the door.  I was home eating dinner with my family by 5 and back to my own house by 6.  I can't tell you when the last time that happened even was.

Changing tides, changing routines.  If I have to hack my way through a few more of these "jungle days" to get to more of these easy afternoons, then fine by me.  It's worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....