Saturday, May 05, 2012

SuperMoon

I just got back home from, for lack of a better term, viewing the "supermoon."  I got Chewie into the car, and the two of us made an adventure out of it.  We got fast food at Sonic, something he's never done before, and except for a little barking at random things in the parking lot and a LOT of white dog hair in the back seat of my car, he was very good.  I bought him a plain kids' burger all of his own, and off we went.

We got to our place out in the country just before dusk, and Chewie and I ate.  The evening was lovely and quiet, only the distant and disturbing sound of a very large pack of coyotes breaking the whippoorwill and bobwhites' song.  Chewie explored his new surroundings, and I waited for the moon to make its entrance.  When it did, it was fantastically lovely.  Just after the sun dropped behind the horizon, the moon appeared through the treeline, gold and gigantic.

For a time, I just sat watching it ascend, listening to the night birds, noticing the random flickering of early lightning bugs like the last few pieces of glitter someone had dusted off his hands.  When the moon had risen sufficiently, I gathered my camera, left the porch, and wandered out into the pasture proper.

It was bright enough to see the settings on my camera without having to use any other source of light.  For all that, though, most of the pictures I took still won't turn out well.  I needed a tripod, and predictably, I left mine at home by accident.  It doesn't really matter.  I had what I wanted out of the evening sitting on the porch listening to the silence and watching the world turned silver.

When I got Chewie and me home, I started messing around in iTunes, and I was struck with the random notion to pull together a few songs that have "moon" somewhere in the title for tonight.  Then I noticed how many songs I have that have moon somewhere in the title.  A quick search of my library yielded 18 songs, almost an hour's worth of music, from exceptionally diverse genres.  I'm listening to the compiled playlist now and getting ready to try to finish a book I started yesterday.  Not a bad way, all in all, to have spent an evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....