Thursday, May 17, 2012

A Scandal in Belgravia (Sherlock 2)

I was going to wait until the new season was available as one entire package, but I don't have the patience.  Tonight, I got episode 1 from amazon streaming, and it was worth every dime.  I love, love, love this show.  Sherlock season 1 was fantastic, but if this first episode of the new season is any indication, this new season is going to leave last time around completely in the dust.

It shouldn't surprise me.  It is, after all, a Moffat affair.  The writing is just so good.  There were a million lines I wanted to tweet and quote, sarcastic and witty, fast and funny.  The chemistry between all the players is balanced perfectly.  Benedict Cumberbatch could not be more perfect if he tried, and Martin Freeman balances him without being silly, stuffy, or weak.  The only bad thing about this show is that there aren't enough episodes to satisfy my craving for it.

I love how this Holmes is written.  He's brilliant and beyond and so rough with it.  Frequently people say things about him like, "You're about to meet Sherlock Holmes.  As far as possible, try not to punch him."  He describes himself as a high-functioning sociopath.  At times, he's totally childish.  The whole scene with the sheet and Buckingham Palace was a riot.

Tonight's had Irene Adler in it, too.  I loved what they did with her.  Add her to the mix of characters they took from the old, modernized, and made wonderful.  She was a balance to Holmes.  She's not good, either, but damn, she's fantastic at being bad.  I loved watching her pull his strings and vice versa.  I loved watching him wake up to the idea that there might be a woman somewhere who was worth his time.  I knew he was a goner when he knew her safe's combination.  I hope she continues to pop up from time to time.

From Moriarty (whose ringtone in the first five minutes was "Staying Alive," LOVE IT) to the line about "I always hear punch you in the face when you're speaking, but usually it's just subtext" to the beautifully sinister side of Sherlock they showed when someone dared to disturb Mrs. Hudson, it's all perfect.  The deerstalker even made an appearance, a completely logical one at that.

If you haven't seen the show yet, I can't recommend it highly enough.  Start from the beginning and catch up.  It really is one of the best things going.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....