Thursday, May 24, 2012

Things They Don't Tell You

Life would be so much easier if people would just TELL you things.  I know experience is supposed to be the best teacher and we all learn better by doing, but some things should not have to be mysteries wrapped up in enigmas wrapped up in things I have suffer and  to go Google to find out about.

Like my recent tetanus shot.  My arm felt like it was going to fall completely off yesterday.  Most of the other symptoms had gotten manageable, but I literally could not raise my arm without it feeling like someone was stabbing me.  It was as if I had a very bad cut and huge stitches through that muscle.  There's a hard place there, too, and it's a little red.  It itches some.

My mind IMMEDIATELY begins to think, "Okay.  This wasn't exactly covered by 'mild irritation at injection site.'  Maybe I need to be worried?  Do I need to be worried?  Is this too much, or is this normal? Am I in the range of symptoms that needs to call the doctor?"

Not wanting to push the panic button, I ignored it most of the day, and, well, did stuff that didn't involve raising that hand.  Or raised it anyway and went, "Owowowowow" in my head.  Finally, though, when I got home, it was so stiff and sore that I decided I would look up what a bad tetanus shot might be like to find out if I needed to be concerned or not.

The answer was a resounding no.  In fact, according to the information I found, tetanus shots are worse for everybody on the second day after.  They can give pain for up to a full week, but day 2 is usually the peak of the agony.  Well...isn't that...nice?  But it did explain what was going on, and I felt better knowing I wasn't about to have some exotic bad reaction to the injection and...explode...or something....

Here's the thing, though.  If apparently everybody has that problem, why didn't the information sheet (front and back, both sides) include that?  If the way to mitigate the pain is ice packs and Tylenol, why isn't that recommended....ANYWHERE?  All the information sheet covers is "You may feel bad. Here's how!"  And then it's vague and scary with its three classes of symptoms.  Be practical.  Be specific.  Tell people, "You're going to feel like a damn Greyhound bus hit you at high speed.  In the arm.  Twice.  It will leave a red spot and a hard place. That's okay.  You're not dying (well, more than usual, anyway). Take some Tylenol.  Put a cold pack on it.  Go to bed.  Get some rest.  And tomorrow?  Hahahahaha.  Tomorrow, well, plan to wear clothing that doesn't go on over your head.  Oh, and we also hope you're not a side-sleeper...."  Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....