Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Another Day, Another 150 Essays...

You know, I'm not entirely sure what day it is anymore.  I get up, I get dressed.  I eat powdered eggs, yogurt, a piece of fruit.  I sit in a purple tweedy chair that isn't totally terrible.  I pull my hair up.  I stick a yellow #2 pencil in it like a feather, like a grading adornment.  I listen to the beautiful voice of the gentleman from South Carolina through my headphones.  I open a yellow folder.  Time abruptly ceases to have any sort of meaning.

I didn't read as fast today.  Fatigue is setting in.  It always does around this time.  Based on the statistics I'm hearing, though, we're still doing remarkably well, so I feel alright.  I wasn't off by much.  I may not break my goal, but I should get close to it.  I will definitely outperform last year.

And I'm getting ready to see home again.  I'm ready for my own bed, my own little space, even as claustrophobic as that space gets.  I miss the various and assorted creatures, and I know they are missing me.  I talked to Mom on the phone last night, and she said they're all getting needy, even Yoda, Queen of the Slasher Claws.  Ultimately, too, no matter how nice my roommate is, I am too used to living alone to like having a roommate for any length of time, especially sleeping in the same room with one.  I don't sleep well in those conditions, always sensitive to every little sound.

Situations like this always make me wonder about what it would be like to be married.  Would I ever get used to having that other person not only in the same room, but in the very same bed, or would i always be in that state of hyperwakefulness (not a word, but if the kids can make them up, damn it, so can I...) Presumably, that would be a whole different ball of wax, or so I'm told, involving love, trust, affection, blah, blah, and blah.  I just keep having this image of me rolling over and either shoving my "true love" clean out of the bed forcefully one night because I've not been sleeping well and I finally lose it or of me picking up a pillow totally soundlessly and leaning down....

Yeah.  Anyway.  That's not where I started going with this.

I'm going to read some Joads now.  Joads.  That would be an awesome name for a band.  Joads.

I.  Need.  Sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....