Thursday, June 30, 2011

Planning

I am trying to design a tattoo.  I don't know how you, gentle reader, feel about tattoos.  I have wanted one for a very, very long time, and I think I am going to get one before the end of the summer.  I have the design narrowed down to three things, but I need help choosing.  I wish you could come sit down and talk with me about this.  I would be so great to have your input.  I could offer you something to drink (as long as you like coffee, Diet Mt. Dew, Raspberry Lemonade, or Diet A&W Root Beer, that is), and you could help me figure this out.  I like all three.  They're going to need to be cleaned up professionally before anything can be done with them, and all three have symbolism to me.  That is what makes it so hard.

Maybe I can describe them to you...

The first is basically my inkan from Japan, the circular name seal designed for me by my friend T.  (Keep score.  This is not my Evil Ex, T.  That's another Japanese T.)  It's a circle that is cut by an S to look like the yinyang sign.  In the upper part, it has the kanji for "god" since my first name means "God's gracious gift" (I'm not making that up, I promise...) and the bottom half it has a kanji symbol that is a direct translation for my last name.  I really like this option because T. designed it for me, so it is a totally unique design.  I also like it because it ties me back to my beloved Japan.  It is also, well, me.

The second option would be a very stylized raven.  Ravens have a special symbolism for me.  In mythology they range from keepers of the sum total of all knowledge to the messengers between the world of the living and the world of the dead to the actual creators of the world.  They also represent the Celtic triple goddess Morrigan.  In real life, they're among the smartest birds, able to use tools, communicate information to each other, remember things and even, apparently plan "revenge" on those who do them injury.

The third option would be one detailed feather.  This is to remind me that I always have wings, even when I don't feel like it.  It would be my permanent, uncrushable "wing feather."  One of my favorite songs is an old, old hymn, "Ecstasy," and in part it says, "Oh, had I wings, I would fly away and be at rest...."  When things are terrible, when the world is weighing down on me, then I can remember that I DO have wings to get myself out of the situation.

Okay.  That's the three.  Thoughts?  Feedback would be so lovely...

1 comment:

  1. K. Wills Sterling3:44 PM CDT

    I prefer the designs in the order presented - my first choice would be the custom-designed yinyang tat. A tat should represent *you* - isn't that the point? I think that design is the best representation of who you are. The others would be lovely, too - esp. the raven (I'm fond of ravens myself); but you can always get those later, if you like having the first one.

    I've been pondering a tat for a long time as well. And for me, it's all about putting something on me that represents the essential part of me. After all, it'll be there forever.

    ReplyDelete

And then you said.....