Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Conversations I Should Stop Trying to Have

I tried to bring up the topic of the program I'm applying for today with my parents.  I've pretty much avoided that whole issue because every time I've talked about going overseas again, such as with the DOD or by applying for a Fulbright my mother starts saying things like, "I don't want to talk about this right now," or "Who's going to take care of the dogs?"

This program, though, is not a semester-long thing.  It's not two years again or even a month even though I'd go for those lengths of time.  It's only two weeks if I should happen to be lucky enough to get chosen, and I think it will be fantastic.  I waited until I was almost done with the app before I said anything so I wouldn't get discouraged and not complete it.

So....tonight while I was at their house for dinner, I mentioned it.  My mom looked at me, asked half a question about what the program was and then my dad, who was going through their mail, looked up and said something about them needing to send a check somewhere, and she got up and walked away talking to him.  That's it.  That's all.

You think by now I would just be smart enough to stop trying, wouldn't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....