Thursday, November 10, 2011

Holding On

Less than four hours of sleep, and I'm clinging to functionality by sheer stubbornness.  I'm shaking like a leaf inside.  I feel like there's an electric current running under my skin.  It's horrible.  If everybody wouldn't think I was a basketcase (which, basically, I guess I am, but in my foolish pride I don't want them to think it), I would sit in the floor and cry.  My heart feels like it is about to pound right out of my chest, and I'm so cold, like I won't ever be warm again.

This is the side of Topamax that they don't tell you about when you go in to take it for the first time:  it's a demanding taskmaster.  If you don't manage the dose and your sleep schedule exactly right, it will beat you into a whimpering and useless mass.  I knew today would be like this when I looked at the clock last night and it was past 12:30 when I was going to bed.  I should have called in for a sub today.  The only way I've been able to manage is to stay constantly moving.  This and the fact that the students are taking tests, meaning that I don't have to be mentally on top of my game, are the only things that are letting me get through.  If I can just get to the end of the day...  If... If...

I am sure this period in my life is serving a purpose other than just pointless misery.  I just wish I knew what the hell it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....