Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Business

Controlling the things I can control.  Back in that old habit as I'm waiting for Nov. 16.  I did yeoman's service at school, got there early, set up one of my favorite lessons ("Walking in Spoon River Cemetery"), changed out my homecoming lights for my Halloween ones, put grades in the computer during my first off period, made prizes for the Literary Pumpkins, taught my classes, went to a publisher's rep meeting during 7th period, and decided to come home fairly early after school.

I did a day's worth of housework when I got here, vacuuming, running the steam cleaner over floors desperately in need of it, "big" laundry (dog blankets, towels), dishwasher loaded and run, fixtures, picked up some of the debris that gathers so effortlessly around here and threw it out or put it away (how many freaking coats do I have, anyway?).  It was nice to see things be neat and orderly, graceful and clean again, or at least as is much as is possible here anyway.  At least my environment is not beyond my ability to affect.

I had a lot of energy for working until I finally sat down on the couch to eat what passed for supper.  My appetite isn't very good; the Topamax is still shredding the weight off me.  I ate, and the tiredness I suppose was just sort of waiting in the wings descended.  I had watched an episode of Being Human, appropriately Halloweenish, and was reading and listening to some good music, when my Kindle tumbled from my sleepy hands.  Blinking blearily across the dim living room, I saw Roux and Chewie were sacked out on the couch and floor.  They seemed to have the right idea even if it wasn't very late and I had classwork I still really needed to do.

There will, after all, need to be distractions for today.  Business and Busyness are always at hand.  If I can just stay moving, I won't have to think.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....