Sunday, August 14, 2011

McLintock (Drive-In 2)

I went back to the drive-in tonight.  They were showing McLintock with John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara.  I had never seen it, but as my Nana was a huge John Wayne fan, and my dad has always loved his films, I wanted to see this one.  My interest increased when I heard it was based on Shakespeare's The Taming of the Shrew.

I gathered my provisions earlier and better this time and set off.  I had plenty of snacks, and I sprayed myself with OFF before the movie began, so except for the bug bites I'm still healing from Tuesday night's horse adventure, I am mosquito free.  That made a big difference.  So, too, did the cooler weather that's begun to return at last.  It was nice to be able to sit there and it not still be 90-something degrees.  Their next film is September, and it should be pleasantly cool then, possibly even requiring jeans.

I really loved McLintock. The whole movie is a joy.  I think if I can't get it streaming on the Roku, I'm pretty much going to have to own it.  It made me laugh too much not to.   It was very funny.  The fight scene in it might be one of my favorite fight scenes in any movie.  People keep falling down and it keeps being funny.  Even John Wayne, the great god of heroes, keeps falling down.  It's wonderful.  And I love Maureen O'Hara.  I want to be her when I grow up.  She's awesome.  She's right in the middle of it, stabbing people with this feather pin thing she takes off her hat.  Love, love, love it.

I will say that somebody somewhere will think that I probably should get all grumpy woman about him spanking her at the end, but...I feel about that like I feel about the stuff that happens in Atlas Shrugged and gets called sexist.  Would I tolerate it happening to me?  Oh HELLS NO.  He would die.  A LOT.  I'd break him into about forty-seven neat segments.  Did it work for them?  Apparently.  In that case, I don't really think it's anybody's business and we need to stay out of it.  The whole movie is incredibly violent.  She knocks him out with a bottle; people punch each other repeatedly in sort of casual, happy-go-lucky way.  I think getting wound up over the bit at the end without seeing it as a part of the larger whole would be a little of that camel/gnat syndrome that seems so prevalent in society.

Anyway, without delving more into philosophy of movies and relationships this late at night, I will just end this by saying that if you haven't seen it, you should.  For something that was as funny as it was, there were actually quite a few deep things going on in it, not the least of which was the treatment of social class and the issue of the Native American tribes being resettled.  For a western of its time, it caught me off guard with its tone there.  I think this is probably one of the reasons why it has lasted so long.  Treat yourself to it, and let me know what you think.  I'm curious to get your opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....