Sunday, August 14, 2011

Moonlight and Movies

The story unfolded, glorious technicolors just there in front of my windshield, an entertainment made of flickering bits of light and dark, and I was very happy.  I could lean my head out, stare up, and see stars glittering against that blue velvet vault.  The yellowed globe of the moon slowly lifted itself over the treeline, an extra decoration seen briefly before being obscured by the clouds that dotted the sky.  Everything was wonderful.

As always, the only thing missing was you.

I kept thinking about how much you would have liked the movie, how much the drive-in aspect of it would have amused you.  I kept seeing your long legs stretched out in that small space, your feet popped up on the dash next to mine.  We'd have made quite a tangle, but it would have been fun.

One day, it would be nice if these little simple moments weren't fragments of fiction, if we were really sharing the popcorn and the silver screen and the small spaces and the starlight together.  I am not sure, though, that I really believe that this will ever happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....