Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Athena and Me

(here there be stupid stuff.  you have been warned.)

Don't ask what started me chasing this rabbit.  I don't even know.  But now I'm deep into it, and it's turned into a full-on blog.  If you have something better to do, well, you know...

Probably it was this morning when I was getting ready.  I pulled my owl necklace out of the box and put it on, the one I got at the Parthenon in Nashville.  It's a little silver replica of Athena's owl, and I smiled when I fastened the clasp, thinking that I had at least a few other things than my fondness for owls in common with the mythical lady.  I started running those over in my head.

Then I got curious.  I don't know that I've ever really looked up stuff on just Athena.  I've researched background for stories in which she is a major character, and I know her basic aspects, but now my little research monster was hungry, so...

It's sort of funny and frightening.  The owls behind me are looking on in calm amusement.  Yeah.  I have one or two things in common.  For instance:


  • War Goddess -- She's not into the stupid raging bloodlust side (that's her brother Ares) but rather strategic butt-kicking. She is, and I quote, a warrior maiden.  Check.  Where's my sword?
  • She Likes Her Men Smart -- Who does she support/mentor/back/pick?  Not the Achilles/Ajax crew.  Nope.  Odysseus.  Jason (before he gets dumb and dumps his witch wife).  Heracles.  She goes for the smart ones.  Check again. 
  • Good with Her Hands -- The metalwork of weapons is in her hands.  So is weaving.  She can make stuff.  Lots of stuff.  Have you seen my work room?
  • Forever Alone -- No men at any time.  Not even those smart, pretty ones.  (HITTING TOO CLOSE TO HOME.)
  • Competitive -- Too much so.  Over the top so.  She made a freaking olive tree to win a competition.  (Yeeah....  Don't go there with me.  I like to keep that side of me in a nice little box even if I can't whip out any olive trees on you.)
  • The Owls -- Enough said.
They say you only need three points of comparison to have a legitimate argument.  I think I have more than three.  Hmm....  Well.  I suppose it could be worse.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....