Sunday, January 29, 2012

Free At Last

Today I went back to Moundville for the first time since I was there with D.  I had been planning to go for a long time, but since I was passing through on my way back from Birmingham, I decided to stop there and put that ghost to rest.

The air was cool and brilliantly sunny, just like that day so long ago, and when I pulled in and drove slowly around the circle, I expected the memories to jump up and assault me.  I walked through the paths and the museum.  I sat at the same picnic table and watched a barge push its load of coal down the muddy river.

He wasn't there.  Whatever spirits walk there, D. isn't one of them for me anymore.

It was a magnificent relief, especially after the last trip I made to State.  I think I'm free.  As I sat on the bench and felt the sunshine warming my shoulders, I watched the birds soaring.  I felt like them.  I like it.  It's a feeling I intend to get used to.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....