Sunday, January 22, 2012

Dragon Year

THE SIGN OF THE DRAGON

The key to the Dragon personality is that Dragons are the free spirits of the Zodiac. Conformation is a Dragon's curse. Rules and regulations are made for other people. Restrictions blow out the creative spark that is ready to flame into life. Dragons must be free and uninhibited. The Dragon is a beautiful creature, colorful and flamboyant. An extroverted bundle of energy, gifted and utterly irrepressible, everything Dragons do is on a grand scale - big ideas, ornate gestures, extreme ambitions. However, this behavior is natural and isn't meant for show. Because they are confident, fearless in the face of challenge, they are almost inevitably successful. Dragons usually make it to the top. However, Dragon people be aware of their natures. Too much enthusiasm can leave them tired and unfulfilled. Even though they are willing to aid when necessary, their pride can often impede them from accepting the same kind of help from others. Dragons' generous personalities give them the ability to attract friends, but they can be rather solitary people at heart. A Dragon's self-sufficiency can mean that he or she has no need for close bonds with other people.

__________________________________________________

There was this painting I wanted but didn't get to buy when I was in Japan going to Nara to the artist shows with one of my friends every year.  It was fantastic.  It showed an oni (a Japanese ogre), a koi (a prized and expensive carp), and a dragon.  The quote said, "Even a small ogre is still an ogre.  Even a dead koi is still a koi.  Even a sick dragon is still a dragon."  It sold before I could purchase it.  I have a work by that artist, which is wonderful, but not that one.  I still wish for it.  I still think of it because frequently I'm a sick dragon.  It might be headaches or foolish outside nonsense or sadness, but these things, they happen.  However, as the painting said, I am still a dragon.

Tomorrow starts my third dragon year on this earth.  I was born in one, passed one in graduate school, and now the third great turning of that wheel is here.  In a short time, too, I will have a birthday.  Many wheels are coming full-circle.

Normally, I wait for February to begin to start what I term my "Month of Senseless Indulgence."  You can find other posts here about that, but more or less, I do lots of little things I enjoy and buy myself a couple of things that I might normally not just because, just to remind myself that life is good.  My birthday usually sucks.  LOTS.  This is my way of ensuring that even if the day itself is horrid and useless, that some sweetness is there to temper it.  

I woke up this morning with something (or a couple of somethings) bothering me, and when I saw a post from a friend on FB reminding me that our year (he's a Dragon, too, born one day after me) was about to begin, I made a decision.  Why wait?  I started my indulgences early.

I took myself clothes shopping, something I don't actually enjoy very much, but I needed to refurbish a couple of things in my wardrobe and I was more or less in the mood for it, so I figured, "Hey, strike while the iron is hot."  While I was in the store, I passed by the racks of lingerie.  Well, yes, that was on my list.  I needed to toss some of mine, and so I headed over, looked at some of the more sensible choices.  And then I remembered the Dragon Year.  My eyes slid across the rack, and it must be admitted that I grinned to myself.

What came home with me was not all sensible.  To hell with it.  Life is not always sensible.  Sometimes one simply needs leopard print undergarments.  (well, maybe not if you are a guy.  I don't know.  maybe if you are a guy, too.... I'll have to ask one sometime, but I'm betting this does not work for them...)  Nobody but me is going to know I have them on (you know, ideally.  barring an emergency circumstance.  in which case my undies are the least of my concern, quite frankly.)  and it's nice to have nice things.  Yeah.  Think that's going to be my motto for this year's indulgences.  What could possibly go wrong with that?

(Oh boy.  Yeah.  Anybody want to sign up to be my full-time keeper until this current little reckless mood passes?  This sounds like something that could end BADLY.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....