Tuesday, January 24, 2012

To Make You Feel My Love

So I got my thing from amazon.  I have been waiting for about a week, ever since I saw it first in a Paste Magazine article, for the Chimes of Freedom:  The Songs of Bob Dylan Honoring 50 Years of Amnesty International compilation to come out.  I haven't even been able to listen to all of it yet.  It's 4 CDs long (I have the digital download, but still), so it's 5 hours of music.  Almost everything I've heard is fantastic.

I'm sitting on the couch, getting ready to read, and iTunes clicks to the next song, and ....Oh Holy Jesus...  It's Adele doing "To Make You Feel My Love."  Now, let me tell you something about this song.  Long before I was "converted" to Dylan, I loved this song.  I have loved every version of it I have ever heard.  It makes something down deep inside me, that thing I hide in the fortress with no doors and routinely kick in the head for being useless and silly, sigh.  The lyrics are perfect in almost every way.

Now put Adele's voice with it.  She's just singing with piano accompaniment.  This is a song that demands simplicity, a focus on the words, and this cover delivers.  It's lovely.

I will probably blog about this whole collection again once I've gotten through it, but this unexpected delight just seemed to demand its own tribute.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....