Thursday, April 19, 2012

It Flies...


...but not necessarily when you're having fun.

The past couple of days have moved super fast.  Maybe that's because I have barely sat down in them.  I've had a couple of things I've thought, "Wow.  I need to blog that," about, and they've gone right out of my head.  I have no idea what those notions might have been now.  Things have been more than a bit of a whirl.

Tax day came and went.  I managed to get back a dime or two from the Fed and turn right back around and send it to the great states of MS and, oddly enough, KY, since I was an AP Reader there last summer. Sigh.  The right hand gives and the left taketh away, I suppose. 

School is a madhouse.  Prom is coming.  I wish prom was during Spring Break so all the stupidity was in one neat bundle and we could just go on from there.  I guess I shouldn't feel that way.  Social ritual is a part of high school just like the educational side of it is, but it frustrates me to no end not to be able to get to the education part because I have to fight everybody's plans for mass bad decision before/during/and-or/after prom.  Life does not have to be lived in this way.

I figured out a solution to a technical problem that was nagging me.  Ed tech is such a strange beast.  You have to find something that is permitted by your system and still does the job.  Fortunately for me, our system is flexible and our administrators are bold and sane.  Also, we're a Google Apps school, and Google tends to have tools out there for all things if one looks hard enough.  After some tinkering and adapting, I found the thing I need to do the job I am trying to do, got it approved and running, and life is much easier now.  

Yesterday, my friend F. tagged me regarding his house and wand on Pottermore as I was frantically racing around the house doing my "Wednesday morning dance" of dogs to be walked, trash to be taken down for pickup, and last-minute preparation for school departure (late, of course, but what else is new?).  Two of my other friends had gotten into it back when you had to stay online at midnight and....I don't know...go on a quest or something?....to get in when it first opened. I had vaguely remembered them being quite excited about the site, but I sort of avoid things like that because I get pulled in and can't get out. 

Yeah.  So.  I got pulled in.

I am now a Gryffindor.  I have an owl and a wand and everything.  Sigh....  But it's okay.  It's a lovely site, very much in keeping with the feel of the books, I thought, and I enjoyed the time I spent on it.  As they say, time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted time.  I learned a lot of background and history to the books I didn't know before, but more than any other thing, what it made me want to do was reread the books.  Again.  For approximately the five-hundredth time.  Since I now have them on my Kindle (AT LAST!!!!!), this is easier than ever, and much more pleasant.  

I am hoping that today will be a bright, shiny good day.  Monday and Tuesday were profoundly not.  Yesterday was pretty good.  Maybe this week is on an escalating trend.  If not, well, I guess it's going by so fast it will be over soon regardless.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....