Thursday, April 26, 2012

A Moment of Ultimate Disambiguation

I'm not calling you a liar, just don't lie to me. ~ Florence + The Machine
______________________________________________


For some time now, I've had this question, this uncertainty that has troubled me about something.  Last night, in the most unarguable way, it was cleared up.  Today, I will have to deal with it.

It's not going to be pleasant or easy.  The moment of finding out was hurtful to a degree and disappointing.  At least I know, though.  There is no longer that nagging sense of questioning and doubt.  Confirmation, even in the negative, is solid ground to push off from.

The issue, something utterly ridiculous, turned serious.  That happens.  However, it has also highlighted something much deeper for me.  It has begun to make me reevaluate several fundamental policies, practices, and habits.  While the choices that created the problem were not mine, I will take steps in the future to ensure the fallout won't affect me again.  That means better bulwarks, bigger earthenworks, more separations, more reserve and distance.  Time to build those walls thicker and step farther back.  Those slings and arrows can't reach you if get out of their range. I'm sure I'm going to have to "slap my hands" mentally several times, but in light of what I've learned and other recent events, I think it's time to go back to the first and greatest defenses:  isolation and expectation of treachery.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....