Monday, April 16, 2012

Vanity of Vanities

And then there are the days where you know what you do is of no damn use at all.

There are people who very strongly believe that Shakespeare, Dickinson, Emerson should all be cast aside and no longer be taught anymore.  They say they have no relevance to students in this modern age, and they maintain that to continue trying to teach them is an exercise in both futility and bad pedagogy.  Instead, we should reach for non-fiction.  For graphic novels.  For pop lit.  Bedrock should be exchanged for glittering ephemera.

Today, I can't raise my hand to fight attitudes like that.  Waves of indifference, of apathy, of hostility, have swamped me.  There can't be any value in it if you have to work for it, right?  If it's not laid in your lap (on your choice of posh designer platters), my GOD, why should you extend your hand?

I just want to stand on the top of a mountain somewhere and scream until I have no more voice left, until I am empty, until I disappear.  The well is not deep enough for me to keep pulling up what is needed right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....